Size: 10" to 12" long
Common Name: Norway Rat
Species: Rattus norvegicus
- An adult rat can squeeze into your home through a hole as small as the size of a quarter.
- Rats can live for up to 18 months, but most die before they are one year old.
- Rats have strong teeth that allow them to chew through glass, cinderblock, wire, aluminum and lead.
- Smell, taste, touch and sound help direct them to their food sources.
- Rats are also responsible for spreading Bubonic Plague, also known as the "Black Death".
- Although fleas are primarily responsible for infecting humans, they were originally infected with the plague by feeding on the blood of rats.
- Rats are scavengers. They have an excellent sense of taste and a good memory. A rat can identify certain substances, including rat poisons, after just a tiny taste of it.
If you believe you may have a rat problem anywhere in Rhode Island or south eastern MA, call the highly trained professionals at Falcon Pest Services for a complete pest inspection and proper extermination treatments at 401-739-1322 or 888-232-5266.